Facebook Badge

Anthony Gagliardi's Facebook profile

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Ipad–yes I bought one!

     Yes it has been a while……Me needing a hair cut, 150x108

     Well for anyone who knows me I am not a big fan of Apple proprietary hardware, only that they release nothing to no one.  On the other hand, their may be some benefit in it, they control the product – Hardware & Software compatibility, it all works out of the box.

     I read an article from TechRepublic about a discussion Steve Jobs had in regard to the tablet market, smartphone and other things.  He may be right, just read what he said and take your petty – I Love Windows or I am a Linux out of the equation.

     Though Google intended for Android to be open source which by nature is a good thing in this venture it may only be good for the manufactures and carriers.  Android is a fractured OS, with each manufacturer and carrier making demands on the OS, no clear upgrade path.  I am a supporter of Open Source, but when everyone is going in their own direction you wind up with thousands of variations, so we wins?  Only the system manufacturers and carriers.

     Even with Windows at least there is only on controlling manufacturer, I can not just change it, even though many of us would like too.  There are some controls to it, some sort of quality assurance.  Of course we can bring Linux the Unix variations into the discussion.  That may be why we have not seen the complete elimination of Windows, too many products.  When on single variant rises to the top, Ubuntu, maybe then Linux will catch on.

     Something else for us to think about is screen size.  I know size does not matter!  Many of the tablet products being released are of the 7”.  Well I have I 7” slatedroid, Eken E001.  Very nice android tablet from China for $88US.  Check email, web  browsing and all the things you want from a 7” system.  It is?  The answer is with a 7” screen I can do the same things on my 4.3” Droid X screen better.  So Mr. Jobs may have a point about the screen size.

     I have been frequenting the Ipad forums around the internet and they have something the others don’t – contentment.  When you go to a windows or android forum, you get a lot of  - this don’t work or that doesn't work and I would have liked this.  On the other hand on the Apple forums you tend to get a lot of positives.  Even when people are having problems you get about 5 posts helping them and not 5 more posts grumbling about it.

     Here is what I am saying, If you want the Windows 7 tablet than just wait for it.  It might just live up to your expectations.  If you want the 7” Android then buy it.  As a non-Apple person I can tell you the Ipad just plain works.

No comments: